By: Ron Ruggiero, President, SEIU Local 105
It’s no secret that many of us are frustrated with politicians who get elected and then don’t do enough to fight for working and middle-class families. Most of us are tired of a rigged economy where hard work isn’t rewarded anymore and the wealth we create only flows to the top.
This has led our union to put the issues that matter to working people front and center. For example, in 2016, we had a record number (hundreds and hundreds) of members who volunteered and stood up to help pass the Minimum Wage ballot measure that will raise it to $12 by 2020; giving over 500,000 Coloradans a direct raise.
This election season, we have another opportunity to raise our issues. But, we’re not going for politicians. We’re showing up for the priorities of Colorado workers.
All election season, we will be leafleting and talking to politicians and voters about the urgent need to:
- Raise wages for all working Coloradans,
- How unions provide in winning greater fairness and freedom at work,
- The need for healthcare that all can access,
- The need to tackle the crisis in the skyrocketing cost of housing,
- How we cannot allow immigrants to be scapegoated for economic problems caused by greed, restorative justice,
- And other issues critical to working people.
Government works great if you’re a rich or powerful corporation. Through action, we can make government work for working people once again. Can you help us by standing up and taking action?