We are currently seeking social and economic justice driven individuals to help empower workers in property services and health care industries by organizing them into our union and becoming active leaders in the larger fight for social justice. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position.
As an Organizer of Strategic Partners, you will work with leaders and workers who are trying to organize a union or current union members to work with partner organizations, community groups, and community organizations. The goal is to empower workers who are organizing to participate and lead in community issues such as economic justice, banking reform, immigration, or other issues that directly affect our membership. Organizing in this fashion serves two main purposes, building strategic partnerships to win campaigns and strengthen the leadership role of our membership within the larger community. This position requires long and varied hours, including early morning, evening, and weekend work as necessary. Occasional travel may also be required. Applicants must possess a vehicle as driving is an important part of the work.
WE SEEK PEOPLE WHO:
- Are passionate about social and economic justice
- Can effectively build relationships and work in coalition
- Can effectively execute a plan
- Can meet deadlines as assigned
- Are dependable team members who can also work independently
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Possess strong personal planning and time management skills
- Have good judgment, including the ability to discern and focus on priorities
- Experience with labor unions, progressive issue advocacy organizations, community organizations or political campaigns
- Have the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- The ability to speak and write English and Spanish is preferred
- Build relationships with new and existing strategic partners
- Maintain a database of strengths and goals for each organization
- Identify and recruit leaders to become involved with partners
- Activate, mobilize, test and assess leaders
- Train leaders on various community and legislative issues
- Build positive working relationships with member leaders and activists
- Attend or organize issue tables and coalitions
- Develop and update power analysis of allies and opponents
- Record, track and report conversations, assessments, and assignments
- Learn and understand the issues impacting the industry they are organizing
- Perform additional duties as direct by union management
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or its equivalent
- 1 to 2 years’ experience as a labor, community, or political organizer
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice of all working people
- Excellent communication skills
- Own or lease a vehicle and maintain valid Colorado driver’s license and insurance policy
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package.
DEADLINE: August 21st, 2015
Please email a cover letter and resume
To Andy Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who pass the document screening process will be called for an interview.
SEIU Local 105 is an Equal Opportunity Employer