Overview: SEIU Local 105 is looking for a researcher for multi-sector growth, corporate accountability, and contract campaigns. The position will be based in Denver, CO, but may require some travel. We are looking for self-starting, intellectually curious people with a strong belief in social justice who are excited about developing expertise in new areas of corporate research.
We may be looking for you if:
- You want to use a wide variety of research methods to analyze the behavior of large and sophisticated organizations.
- You hate not knowing the answer to something and you want to dig until you find it.
- You are not shy about talking with workers to document the effect of low-wage jobs on families and communities.
About SEIU: SEIU Local 105 has 6500 members in the Colorado primarily in health care and property services. SEIU Local 105 is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building power by uniting workers to build better communities and strengthen our democracy.
Join us if you want to fight for a just society:
- Where all workers are valued and all people are respected.
- Where all families and communities thrive.
- Where we leave a better and more equal world for generations to come.
This position is responsible for research in support of local and national campaigns to challenge America’s largest corporations to take responsibility for how their business practices effect working families and their communities.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Compiles, researches, presents and summarizes data on industries, companies, individuals, issues and other topics in support of SEIU Local 105’s program; but not limited (see the job description)
- Synthesizes relevant facts/issues from a large amount of information/data.
- Works with Local Union staff to gather and provide information in a timely fashion.
- Develops and implements his/her weekly work plan; meets deadlines.
- Demonstrates the capability to learn and develop new skills.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU 105 staff and others related to research issues.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in economics, business, statics, labor relations or a related field and two (2) years’ experience in research, with demonstrated ability in quantitative or qualitative research, even as a student. Successful completion of the required research test.
A combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of research techniques and processes.
- Knowledge of quantitative techniques and analysis.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and, database programs and on-line research services.
- Ability to analyze financial data, corporate structures and market data in multiple industries.
- Ability to understand and recognize how the public persona of corporations and corporate officials impacts their operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to analyze, craft, and research public policy initiatives and their impact on working families.
- Strong consideration given to proficient or fluent speakers of a language other than English (Spanish strongly preferred).
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel required.
SEIU Local 105 staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a pension plan.
In addition to your resume, a writing sample of analytical research paper and a cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should include your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Successful completion of the required research test.
SEIU Local 105 is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please send resume to: Carlos Contreras at firstname.lastname@example.org