SEIU Local 105 is now hiring an Internal Organizer to build power for service workers in the Denver Metro Area. SEIU Local 105 is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building the power of low-wage workers and engaging in larger social issues such as immigration and health care. SEIU Local 105 represents nearly 7,000 janitors, security officers, window cleaners, parking attendants and health care and mental health workers. The Union is home to the Justice for Janitors and Stand for Security, campaigns that have successfully improved the lives of thousands of low wage and immigrant workers throughout the country.
Local 105 is currently running multiple organizing drives. We are looking for an energetic, forward thinking person who is excited to be part of a movement for real social change and who wants to be part of a team that fights and wins for workers, their families and their communities. Organizers work as part of a campaign team made up of organizers, researchers, and other campaign staff.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively recruit and mentor new leaders
- Foster worksite communication and leadership structures
- Develop and execute internal organizing and bargaining support campaigns
- Develop and execute plans for worksite campaigns for specific issues including budget concerns, contract negotiations, health & safety, etc.
- Enforce contracts
- Conduct worksite meetings and labor management meetings
- Encourage participation in political and lobbying activities
- Prepare and manage work plans, calendars, files, reports and other records
- Commitment to social justice
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively plan and implement work and manage time, as part of a team and individually
- Willingness and ability to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- Flexibility for travel based on work assignments
- Experience and knowledge of computer programs is a plus (including word processing, desktop publishing, spreadsheet and database software)
- Driver’s license and reliable car is a must
- Motivated self-starter who is also a solid team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong personal planning and time management skills
- The ability to work with people from other cultures and backgrounds
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and flexible based on prior labor or relevant experience and staff union contract
- Full benefits package including health insurance, pension plan, car allowance, and paid vacation
To apply email a resume with cover letter explaining interest and qualifications to, Lucia Melgarejo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEIU Local105 is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.